Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Miharu Has Returned to Singapore (sorta)

Tokusen Shoyu Black Label

That old Nishiyama stand across from Meidi-ya is gone, but there is signage for bowls from Miharu at the Bentoss window further down. And it's a rather thorough selection of miso, shoyu, and tonkotsu broths, complete with so-called "black label" and "red label" variants.

It was only after I ordered did I realize that those basically just meant black pepper and red chili sauce respectively. But the good thing was that this Tokusen shoyu bowl was still sitting underneath a generous layer of oil, just as it had decades ago, making it fun to eat.

I'll be honest that the nostalgia factor payed a huge role in my sentiment. If it weren't for that, I'd likely be bashing this bowl for those totally overcooked noodles and watered down broth. Really, it needed to be much saltier.

No comments: