Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sapporo Zangi from Hokkaido's BENTOSS in Singapore

Sapporo Zangi

Somehow I never realized this until recently, but the Liang Court basement stall bearing the sign Dosanko Plaza is actually a chain from Hokkaido called BENTOSS (177 River Valley Road #B1-50). We went there because they claimed to be the Gold Award winner of some Deep Fried Chicken Grand Prix 2017. And this set of three pieces was a very affordable S$6 (US$4.45).

The other reason why I was curious is because zangi was supposed to be quite different from karaage, and I wanted to try it for myself. These things were huuuge...and not necessarily in a good way. Sure, it was still tender, and the hint of ginger in the batter was a nice touch. But it still doesn't compare to the careful handling of Rang Mang Shokudo, which is by far the champion of fried chicken in my opinion.

No comments: