Monday, July 03, 2023

Gagahoho Ox Bone Soup at Burlington Square

Gomtang

I'm not intentionally trying to eat back-to-back Korean food, but it occurred to me this morning that there was a gomtang shop here that I've been wanting to try (175 Bencoolen Street #01-57A, 6518-4157). The quality of the beef couldn't compare to Hadongkwan, but this was stil a proper bowl, complete with a tub of salt at your disposal. I slurped this thing down in no time, including a second bowl of rice while I was at it.

The bigger surprise here though was their kimchi. They used long cuts of leaves that were still pretty fresh, going very nicely with that savory and ginger-heavy chili paste mixture. Its quality was right up there with the banchan that Um Yong Baek provides, although of course this was only one variety and more downscale.

I'll definitely be back, but I'll need to be selective on which days given a few things that are inherent with gomtang: it's easy to end up in a sweaty mess afterwards, and the huge load of leeks in there means that I'm going to repel a lot people near me this afternoon. Plus, it's not very filling either. There were other items on the menu, but frankly I don't care about any of them as long as I can get that gomtang and kimchi.

No comments: