Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Ah Lam Abalone Soup off Serangoon Road

Pork Lard Rice

You might be wondering why you don't see any abalone nor soup in that photo above. Don't worry, I bought some abalone soup too, but that bowl of rice above totally outshone it. See, this is indeed an abalone soup shop (460 Race Course Road, 6398-1154). But just under the menu listing for the S$18.80 (US$13.90) bowl of abalone soup was the option to accompany it with a S$1.50 (US$1.10) bowl of pork lard rice.

[record scratch] Hold on...whaaaat?? My eyes opened so wide that they almost fell out of my sockets. I had to read it again to be sure: pork, lard, rice. YESSS!!! It's not available every day, but they managed to have enough lard left today to give me a bowl, and I was delighted. Similar to what I've had in Hong Kong, this was a piping hot bowl of steamed rice doused in liquified pork fat and soy sauce. But here they also gave at least four or five generous scoops of crunchy crackling on top. And despite how it sounds, it actually wasn't that greasy.

But it was outrageously delicious enough to devour down to the very last grain, going perfectly with that thin and savory abalone soup, including the delightful mushrooms and scallops inside. They actually offer several other things at this shop, like bak chor mee and salt-baked chicken. But I don't know if I'll ever get around to those if they have the pork lard rice available. Awesome!

No comments: