Sunday, July 04, 2021

Maruhachi Donburi & Curry in Punggol, Singapore

Pork Katsu Teishoku

This stall at the Happy Hawkers kopitiam has been getting a lot of attention lately (671 Edgefield Plains), as it is run by a guy who used to work at Ginza Bairin at ION Orchard, and I think Wakashachiya at Clarke Quay Central before that. Even though it's not in the name, the main thing to get here is the tonkatsu.

I can see why there is a line for this place given the quality of ingredients like the panko and rice. It was tender and moist on the inside and light and airy on the outside, almost like what one would get at Saboten or Tonkichi, even though no suribachi sesame seed mortar is provided here. It was certainly better than the lifeless stuff found at YAYOI or in a supermarket box, as well as of course what one would usually get at a hawker stall.

That said, I'll stay away from the curry, which was a yawner, especially compared to what Kimikatsu does. I'll also pass on the hire fillet cut next time, as it was heftier than I thought it would be. Basically, I'd stick to the regular pork, which presumably was rosu loin. I wonder how their kurobuta fares.

No comments: