Sunday, July 12, 2020

Chef Kang's Noodle House at Jackson Square, Toa Payoh

Noodle with shredded abalone, char siew, and wonton

This wasn't the shop that I wanted to go to. Indeed, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who has mistaken this stall with Chef Kang Prawn Noodle House just one street away. See, they are both run by chef Kang, who runs his eponymous Michelin-starred private kitchen, as well as these two more casual shops that I confused today. I was more interested in the prawn noodle shop, but I didn't realize that he also ran a wanton mee stall not far away from it. That's where I mistakenly ended up this morning (11 Lorong 3 Toa Payoh Block A, 8280-2782).

To be sure, this stall has a Bib Gourmand listing. And the quality of the ingredients was very good, including not just the fatty, moist, and tender pork, but also the wonderfully skinny noodles in particular (apparently they are bamboo pole noodles hauled in from Hong Kong). But it was a tad sweet and the chili sauce wasn't spicy, making me all the more bummed that this wasn't the prawn noodle shop that I thought I was headed to. Well, the prawn noodle shop wasn't open this early in the morning anyway, so I'll have to come back again some other time.

No comments: