Sunday, November 03, 2019

China's Yunhaiyao ("Yun Nans") in Singapore

Steam Pot Chicken Soup

I finally got around to trying that Yunnan restaurant at Jewel (78 Airport Boulevard #02-217, 6908-3677). Their signature steamed chicken soup wasn't anything mindblowing, but the broth was crisp and savory nonetheless. That pile of beansprouts on the side was meant for placing the remaining chicken meat onto and mixing a spicy red dressing into it. Yeah, it was kinda fun.

Actually, the thing that got me more excited was a plate of their stir fried porcini mushrooms. These were wild mushrooms harvested from the hills of Yunnan, and I absolutely loved how they were both meaty and buttery at the same time. That was easily one of the best things that I've eaten all year, and I'm definitely getting that again next time I'm here.

There's one thing that I wasn't able to get today: a grilled seabass that looked delicious with its red powdered seasoning on top, so I'll have to get that next time. I'm also curious to see how their bridge crossing noodles taste. Wait, I just realized that I ate their food in China last year! It seems that I liked the porcini mushrooms that time too.

1 comment:

eatshopbemerry said...

We order the porcini mushroom whenever we dine here. Do try the grilled fish. It is pretty awesome. I usually avoid spicy food if I can help it but I am willing to torture my nose whenever I dine here. To be honest, I agree that the soup was alright, i had expected a stronger flavour.