Monday, June 24, 2019

Abe Restaurant in Metro Manila, Philippines

Kinilaw na Tanigue and Bicol Express

I've physically been to Manila once or twice in the past, but I've never really stayed longer than a day or so to really get to know it. This time, I'm here for the week, and I'm very surprised and curious about all of the unfamiliar food that I walked by tonight. I wanted to try it all, but I also knew that I needed to establish a baseline of traditional food for reference. Hence, I sat down at an outlet of this small chain, which it seems is part of the same parent group as Fely J's.

I started small, going with some simple sinuteng baby squid (deliciously done al ajillo) as well as a gising gising dish featuring sliced kangkong stalks in coconut milk. The menu said that one needed a fire extinguisher for the chili in there, but it wasn't spicy at all. It was still rich and tasty enough for me to wolf down quickly though.

There were two other things that I wanted to try: kinilaw na tanigue and Bicol Express above. The former was a local palm vinegar and coconut milk version of ceviche, which I liked for its shredded ginger, while the latter consisted of sliced veggies in a coconut cream. It was from a neighboring region called Bicol that is known for its spices, but just like the gising gising, I couldn't even feel the heat, despite the menu claiming that it is "guaranteed to blast you off to Mayon Volcano." It was deliciously rich though.

No comments: