Monday, October 31, 2016

Macau's Tai Lei Loi Kei in Singapore

Signature Pork Chop Bun

I tried one of these Macanese pork chop buns way back in 2008, but it wasn't from this shop, which has apparently gotten even more famous after Bourdain went there. They've opened up a couple of outlets in Singapore now, including this one at Vivocity (1 HarbourFront Walk #B2-26A).

The pork was tender and the bread was surprisingly easy to eat. But it also left me with the same impression that I had last time: it was undressed and thus a bit dry. Sure, there was a bit of natural fat in the pork, but not enough. I'm surprised that there wasn't at least some butter or mayo in there to help things along.

As such, this isn't something I'll be likely to get cravings for. The Portuguese egg tart, however, was better with its buttery crust and caramelized top, even if still not as sinful as I remember Lord Stow's or Margaret's being.

No comments: