Monday, November 07, 2016

Tsuta Japanese Soba Noodles in Singapore

Ajitama Shoyu Soba and Rosu-Meshi

I'm not one that likes to wait in line for food. OK, maybe for Franklin Barbecue, but even then it wouldn't be my first choice. So when Tsuta, the Michelin-starred ramen shop from Japan, ran its grand opening at Pacific Plaza yesterday, I walked away (9 Scotts Road #01-01, 6734-4886). Still, I had a hunch that today being a weekday would be a little easier. I arrived a little before the opening hour and got through in 90 minutes, taking care of a few work items while waiting. Still, one thing bothered me while I was waiting in line: the whiff of truffle coming out of the restaurant. Don't get me wrong; I love truffles just as much as the next guy, but truffles have become such an easy out, getting added to everything from fries to pizza to even dishes at Din Tai Fung.

Fortunately, my fears about their use of truffle were unfounded. Yes, there was a hint of truffle in it, but it merely accented rather than overwhelmed the bowl. In fact, the crisp yet deep taste of the shoyu broth was much more prominent, and was the best part of it all. The skinny noodles were firm and the meat was tender despite being so lean, reminding me a bit of thinly sliced roast beef. Was it worth waiting 90 minutes for though? No, but I'd wait up to 30 minutes, and that's only because I can basically finish my food there within 15 minutes, thus still being done with the whole ordeal in less than an hour. Strangely, the metal counters and lack of physical energy in this place made it feel like a laboratory, but I'd like to come back and try the shio version one day.

No comments: