Monday, July 17, 2023

Chengdu Restaurant on Amoy Street in Singapore

Chuanbei liangfen

There are probably a billion restaurants on this planet that have a similar name. So I was dismissive of this place when I had first heard of it, puzzled as to why this was suggested for tonight (98 Amoy Street, 8533-9928).

It was only after sitting down did I realize that it wasn't the grimey late night place that I had incorrectly assumed it to be. Now, it wasn't as upscale as Shisen Hanten either, but it was pretty good, be it with all of those starters above (none of which were watered down), or a tengjiao barramundi that was served on a portable stove. Their spiced mini potatoes were nicely crispy on the outside but soothingly hearty on the inside. Yes, I liked it.

That said, one still pays Amoy Street prices here, so the more affordable Sichuan option - just as authentic albeit with a more limited selection - is my usual Qiu Jin Xiao Chao. Next time I come here, I hope that the beer fridge is more properly stocked.

No comments: