Friday, June 23, 2023

Sichuan's Qiu Jin Xiao Chao in Singapore

Wagyu Mapo Tofu

This chain from Sichuan has opened up an outlet at Harbourfront Centre (1 Maritime Square #01-45). It was cheaper and more casual than I thought it would be, but nonetheless they offered a wagyu option on their mapo tofu, which sounded interesting enough.

To my surprise, it wasn't spicy at all in terms of chili pepper heat, and the meat was just thin shabu shabu-like slices. Yet it was very numbing, salty, and surprisingly thick. I haven't eaten the real deal enough to verify that it makes it more authentic, but it worked for me, even if I kept thinking of Chen Kentaro's more refined version.

Either way, I'd like to come back to try some of the other things on the menu, including shuizhuniu, suancaiyu, and even a shrimp ball version of the mapo tofu. Reminder to self: if you get the mapo tofu again, there is enough of that salty greasiness in a single serving to share across multiple bowls of rice.

No comments: