Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Xin Yuan Ji near Bugis Junction in Singapore

Mixed Fish Bee Hoon

Pretty much every time that I've walked by this place, there is a huuuuuge crowd of people out on the street waiting to get in (31 Tan Quee Lan Street #01-01, 6334-4086). And yet, I couldn't figure out why. The menu just seemed like your everyday cze cha fare, with an emphasis on fish soup. Well, there was no wait when I went by today, so I figured that I'd see what the fuss was about.

That fish soup above was pretty good, with the high quality of ingredients in particular driving that. Not only was the fish very solid and fresh, but also the broth was lifted by some ground fish powder and even a bit of huangjiu if I tasted it correctly. The rice noodles were firmer than most other places, in a good way.

Apparently the har cheong gai here is supposed to be good too, but I didn't get a chance to try it. Either way, I assume that the draw here is also the location and air conditioning. Prices were higher than what one would normally pay for such dishes, but hey, that bowl above was still cheaper than what I paid at The Ship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try their outlet at Mcnair Road to skip the queue. Same kopitiam as Wild Coco.