Friday, April 08, 2022

Sambae: Sambal Is Bae in Ang Mo Kio

Kangkong Prawn Rice Bowl with Onsen Egg

When I first saw this stall (721 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 #01-2823), I was confused. It wasn't the name that confused me; clearly it was a sambal-focused stall. I just didn't understand those rice bowls that they were offering, since they seemed merely like re-portioned bowls of food that you might get at a cze cha rather than anything that unique.

After taking one bite though, it made sense to me. Sure, the sambal was good, being spicier than it was sweet, not to mention earthy and even a bit smoky. But more important was the quality of the ingredients, in particular the pearly beads of rice, not to mention the firm prawns in my bowl. I nearly could've gone back for a second one if I didn't have a dinner appointment approaching in a couple of hours.

No comments: