Sunday, March 13, 2022

Swan City Noodle House at Amoy Street Food Centre

Kampua Noodles (White) and Sibu Kompia

This Sarawakian stall was one of the few stalls at the newly renovated Amoy Street Food Centre that was open on a Sunday morning (7 Maxwell Road #02-105). I picked it because the menu featured all sorts of dishes that I had never heard of before, like those kampua noodles in the foreground as well as the Sibu kompia in the background.

Truth be told, that was actually my second order this morning. I started instead with something called bien niuk noodles, which turned out to be kinda like wontons but with very little meat. The bed of noodles underneath it was the much bigger star, as they were pleasantly firm, and simply seasoned with shallot oil and soy sauce. I was so happy with it that that's when I figured it was worth trying other things like the kampua noodles above.

That's when I got let down. The noodles themselves were the same as before, but that minced meat topping was sweet, as was the filling in the kompia behind it. The bun encasing it was nicely fried to a crispy yet chewy texture, but I was so put off by the sweetness that I didn't bother to finish. Next time, I'll stick to the bien niuk noodles.

No comments: