Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Fennel by Komala Vilas in Singapore

Chocolate with Mysore Pak

I've been wanting to come here for a while (413 River Valley Road, 6235-7485). See, the Komala Vilas folks opened up an upscale place serving small plates and craft beer, complete with American diner-like counter seating. You've gotta give them credit for sticking their neck out there on this one.

They had traditional thali and dosa available, but I was after the more contemporary side of the menu, like the tapioca rasam pani puri or roasted cauliflower beetroot beehoon. The former featured some sturdy and textured puri, while the beetroot noodles were more about color than taste. The food wasn't as distinctive as Podi & Poriyal, but carried the same spirit, and was cheaper too.

Actually, the thing that got me most excited was that dessert above. I'm normally not much of a dessert person, but when I saw this on the menu, my jaw just dropped. Why? It was chocolate with Mysore pak. Yes, Mysore pak! I haven't had it in ages and it put a big smile on my face.

No comments: