Tuesday, May 04, 2021

The Low Carb Gyudon from Japan’s Sukiya

Low Carb Gyudon

I haven't had the best experiences at Sukiya (i.e., the gyudon chain from Japan, not the local shabu shabu chain Suki-ya). But the prices at their Singapore outlet are impressively low, and I happened to be at Suntec this afternoon anyway, so I stopped by for a bite on my way home (3 Temasek Boulevard #01-647).

To my surprise, there was a low-carb option on the menu, where the rice is substituted with not just lettuce, but also a big block of tofu underneath (I also chose an okra topping for that bowl above). It's too bad then that the tofu was drenched in a sweet sesame dressing, which means that I won't order it again. Instead, I should get the "XM" extra meat version, which comes with 165% more meat but only 75% of the rice of the medium gyudon.

Oh, and I need to remember not to order the side of "green veggies" in the background, as it was loaded with tons of garlic. Instead, get the French green beans, which were basically ganbian sijidou, and decently spicy at that. And while the yakitori here is tender and smoky, it's also swimming in their sweet tare sauce.

No comments: