Sunday, December 27, 2020

Fat Belly Alternative Steakhouse at Serene Centre

200g Icon Wagyu Petite Tender MS 4/5

This shop next to Orh Gao Taproom looked interesting: it calls itself an "alternative steakhouse" because they serve less-common cuts of beef, like a flat iron. That immediately got me thinking of The Feather Blade, and I stopped by tonight hoping to similarly get a decent meal at a reasonable price (10 Jalan Serene #01-04, 6314-2247). Only after I sat down and looked at the menu did I realize that they were only serving wagyu tonight, making that petite tender above the cheapest cut on the menu at S$32 (US$24).

Duck Rillettes and Toasted Sourdough Bread

Clearly that's a very lean cut though, so I'm not sure if the marbling score made much of a difference. Still, it was mildly tender and tasty, and I was pretty happy with that smoky side of charred broccolini, not to mention their rillettes too (it seems the chef here came from the now defunct Moss by honestbee). All of this added up quite a bit in the end, but you get what you pay for: my tummy was much happier here than at Brasiero. Next time I should try to sidestep those wagyu prices by going for the spatchcock instead.

No comments: