Saturday, November 07, 2020

Hong Kong's TamJai SamGor MiXian in Singapore

Chive Mixian in Wu La Soup

OK, this is the primary reason why I've been going to Bedok so much recently: I wanted to try this shop, a former Bib Gourmand chain from Hong Kong serving Yunnan rice noodles (311 New Upper Changi Road #B1-52, 6241-8323). Today I finally got seated after waiting for more than an hour.

They had bridge crossing noodles if you wanted it, but the menu really tried to point you toward customizing your own mixian bowls instead, I chose chives as my "topping" (the menu seemed to suggest getting only one or two toppings, and only after it came out did I realize that it was because they provided a pretty big quantity), as well as their Wu La (hu la) charred pepper broth at a "moderate" spicy level 8 out of 10.

Yes, it was good, but I went too far on that level 8. The pepper kept racing down my throat, inducing an immediate coughing fit. Eventually, I figured out a way to swallow it more quickly, but then it was hard to savor the taste. Either way, the noodles were nice and firm, and tufei chicken wings were pleasantly moist too. Next time I'll need to remember to kick the spicy level back a notch or two.

No comments: