Saturday, October 31, 2020

I Tried Three Hawker Stalls in Bedok This Afternoon

New World Mutton Soup Mixture

I somehow ended up in Bedok this afternoon; that hawker centre at the bus interchange is huge! Maybe two or three of the stalls there caught my eye, one of which was this Michelin-listed Teochew mutton soup stall called New World Mutton Soup (208 New Upper Changi Road #01-23). The soup had a bit of a saccharine taste to it, but not necessarily in a bad way, as there were lots of flavors swirling around in there, including some refreshing julienned ginger. The broth wasn't too gamey, and the various cuts of meat were tender too.

Xing Ji Rou Cou Mian

I then realized that I was just a few bus stops away from Fengshan Market, so I headed down that way to finally try Xing Ji Rou Cou Mian (85 Bedok North Street 4 #01-07). It was much more delicate than I was expecting (in a good way), especially that broth, which didn't have anywhere near the amount of garlic as that one at Lucky Plaza. The minced meat was impressively fluffy, and the noodles and meatballs were tasty too. Plus, it was only S$3 (US$2.20), which was quite a steal.

Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee

And that's when I realized that right next door to them was a rival selling the same thing. Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee (85 Bedok North Street 4 #01-08) has a dry version available as well, but I went for the soup one just to make it a proper head-to-head comparison. The broth here was slightly more garlicky, but still not as much as the one at Lucky Plaza. The meatballs here were grittier though, while the crackling was crispier. Still, it was close enough to the other bowl that I hardly would've detected a difference had I not been paying attention.

No comments: