Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Matsuri Spicy Herbal Soup in Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

Malatang

When I first saw the signs here for a "Japanese Mala Soup Noodle by Ramen Matsuri," I assumed that it was some kind of spicy ramen (1 Tras Link #01-07). But when I walked in, I was puzzled. The instructions said that one had to choose between Japanese glass noodles or upgrade to konnyaku. And there was a Subway-style counter with directions to select three veggies and one meat. What kind of weird ramen was this?? That's when I realized that they were doing malatang instead.

Well, that explains the back of their T-shirts: "Malatang Produced by Matsuri." One had to select spicy levels on a scale of zero to five. Figuring that it'd likely be toned down, I went for level 4. It turned out that they weren't holding back: level 4 was plenty spicy after stirring everything up from the bottom (they were grinding their spices in the shop). I was happy to see that it wasn't diluted, but I also didn't like it so much that I'll be rushing back.

No comments: