Monday, October 14, 2019

Sapporo's Yoshiyama Shouten at Ramen Revolution 2019

Miso Ramen with Roasted Sesame

I came back to the Japan Food Matsuri setup in the basement of Takashimaya today with the sole intention of getting this bowl after they rotated the 175° DENO folks out last week. This guy is apparently rather famous for his ramen, with him even proudly displaying a picture of him with Shinzo Abe at the cash register. The dark and musty color of the broth looked very promising too.

But after just one whiff without even tasting it, I was bummed out. Why? It smelled like Sapporo ramen, which I'm not a huge fan of. Of course, it *was* Sapporo ramen, but the way it was hyped up, I was hoping that it might break away from the norm. It was still a miso broth with curly noodles that I struggled to get excited about, even if I ultimately still finished it.

I'm not sure why I don't like Sapporo ramen, to be honest. Maybe it's because the broth doesn't taste like miso after all of the stuff has been shoved into it. Maybe it's because I don't like the curly noodles. Most likely, it's just because it comes across as too forced, whereas I prefer a more elegant bowl. Maybe I should go back to Sapporo one day to find a bowl that I would like.

2 comments:

Zeuspower said...

What do u mean it was too forced?

bma said...

Trying to shove too many flavors into it in one go.