Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Japan's 175° DENO Ramen at Ramen Revolution 2019

DENO Tantan-men

When I heard that Ichiran was doing a pop-up in Singapore, I quickly dismissed it, figuring that I'd already seen the best and the worst of Ichiran. But after hearing about it a few more times, I realized that this pop-up was actually this year's version of Ramen Revolution. OH, CRAP! What other shops did they bring down here this year??

For me, the headliner was not Ichiran, but 175° DENO Ramen, which is only here this week. They specialize in tantanmen, but in a dry version that allegedly came with a more pronounced Sichuan influence. I was thus expecting this to be really in-your-face, but instead, it was rather mild. You could say that it made it more elegant, but I was expecting something much punchier. Fortunately, they had squeeze bottles of red chili oil as well as whole peppercorns on the counter that perked this thing right up.

Yes, I liked it, and the flat shape of the noodles made it fun. It's also nice that the WAttention folks brought their event into the city (and indoors!) at Ngee Ann City this year, and for a longer period so as to be able to rotate through other shops. I eagerly await the arrival of a dark-looking miso ramen from Sapporo next week.

1 comment:

Liverella said...

Had their seasonal ramen last week at Sapporo... came across the shop by chance and saw a line... it was really amazing! As you said, very elegant version of tantanmen