Thursday, June 27, 2019

Waiting Out Manam Comfort Filipino in the Philippines

House Crispy Sisig, University Rice, and Lumpiang Bicol Express

For some reason, this local chain is immensely popular. Not only did my local teammates mention that they have the best sisig in town, but also that people usually wait an hour to get in. Indeed, I went to two locations tonight, both of which had huge lines. So I waited it out at a nearby bar and eventually got seated, upon which I ordered their house crispy sisig along with some lumpiang and "university rice." Sure, the sisig was good and crispy as promised, but was nothing that I'd wait an hour in line for.

The lumpiang were interesting in that it was actually lumpiang Bicol Express, to be specific. The lumpiang themselves weren't spicy, but the vinegar on the side was (I'm starting to realize that Bicol Express isn't really a dish but just code for "spicy," right?). But the rice was disappointing: I saw a mention of it on some "best fried rice" list, but it was kinda mushy and didn't have much of a greasy nor smoky flavor. Well, it was all very affordable.

No comments: