Saturday, March 03, 2018

Borda Berri in San Sebastián, Basque Country

Kebab de Costilla de Cerdo

Most of the pintxos bars here have stuff already made and laid out on the counter. But not these guys (12 Fermin Calbeton Kalea, 943-430342). Every order was sent to the kitchen and came out piping hot, including the pork ribs above, which were crispy and salty on the outside with delicious fat underneath.

I also had to get some bacalao al pil-pil while I was here in Basque Country, and I'm glad I did. Not only was the pil-pil sauce good enough to mop up with bread, but the texture of the bacalao was almost tendon-like, making it quite different from the other times that I've tried it elsewhere. Good to finally get it from the source!

Note to self: I saw a lot of people here ordering a wonderfully plump-looking ravioli as well as an orzo risotto done with local Idiazabal cheese. Be sure to try those next time if they are still offering them!

No comments: