Thursday, May 12, 2011

My First Taste of Bacalao al Pil-Pil

Bacalao al Pil-Pil con Jamon Langostinos

Remember that San Sebastian episode of A Cook's Tour where they kept swirling earthenware so as to emulsify olive oil with pieces of bacalao? That's a quintessentially Basque dish, and we got it here at Bilbao Restaurant & Gastrobar (111 Somerset #02-16, 6737-0150). It wasn't cheap, but there probably isn't anywhere else in Singapore that makes this either.

Now, the photo above isn't the best illustration, as the fish is obstructed by the prawns that these guys paired it with, but I really liked the pronounced olive oil taste that came through in that thick yellow sauce. Granted, my experience with Basque food is very limited (and I didn't really get to try much else here tonight either), but a Basque friend of ours liked this place, which says enough that I'll come here again to give the other stuff a try.

No comments: