Sunday, January 14, 2018

Exploring Toa Payoh West Market & Food Centre

Lao Sim Shredded Chicken Noodle

I don't know how I'd never come to this place before (127 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh), but there are quite a few famous stalls up here. Lao Sim Shredded Chicken Noodle (#02-01) caught my eye for their fish dumplings, which turned out to be nice and earthy thanks to some shallots lurking in both the stuffing and broth, if I tasted it correctly. The portions weren't big, but the noodles were cooked nice and firm, garnering a thumbs up from me.

Chey Sua Carrot Cake

Next up was Chey Sua Carrot Cake (#02-30). There didn't seem to be any line at first, but only after placing my order (and then explicitly asking how long it would take) did they tell me that the food would take 45 minutes to arrive! Fortunately, it only took about 30 minutes in the end. Unfortunately though, it wasn't worth the wait, especially since the chili sauce was rather sweet. And that's candy-like sweet, which was a huge turnoff for me. The pieces that didn't have any chili on them fared better, but even then it was so mushy and pancake-like that I prefer places like Lau Goh instead. So that was a Michelin Bib Gourmand??

Come Daily Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee

Finally, I rounded out my breakfast with a third course from Come Daily Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee (#02-27). If the name sounds weird, it's because it's a literal translation from Chinese, and there was a 25 minute wait too (looks like it's Michelin-listed, but not starred nor Bib Gourmand). Anyway, there was a lot of stuff going on in the savory gravy connecting it all together, and it came with the added bonus of some crunchy pork crackling inside. I don't really remember Hong Heng well enough to make a valid comparison, but I ate this pretty quickly.

3 comments:

W said...

hmmm apparently the carrot cake is famous but i havent tried, apparently the hokkien prawn noodle used to be much better, they always had a long wait and would sell out by lunch, but theres a new muslim prawn noodle soup just beside it for you to try... https://sethlui.com/deannas-kitchen-halal-prawn-mee-singapore/

bma said...

Thanks for the tip. I tried it this morning but wasn't a big fan of the broth, which was slightly sweet. I suspect that I would've liked it better if I had a dry version.

ClearTear said...

If you go to my market (cos i lived around there) try the black one instead, beside the fried hokkien mee. Ya this white carrot cake definitely so so... theres a better one at blk 111, toa payoh lorong 1, braddell mrt. but he opens when he's happy lol.