Friday, November 18, 2016

Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee at Tiong Bahru Market



I was transferring buses in Tiong Bahru when the thought occurred to me that there were a couple of Bib Gourmand stalls in the nearby hawker center. So I stopped in for a quick dinner before heading home.

The chicken rice guy was sold out, so I ended up at the Hokkien mee guy instead (30 Seng Poh Road #02-01). At first glance (and even at first bite), it didn't seem like anything special. But as I took more and more bites, I started to realize why it was respected: it was the care and quality of the ingredients. The noodles weren't overcooked, the dish wasn't over-garlicked, and the seafood was fresh and finely cut. The entire plate just came together in a really well-balanced manner.

Was it really Michelin-worthy though? I wouldn't go that far. If it really was Michelin-worthy, then why the heck didn't its neighbor Jian Bo a few stalls down get recognized too?

No comments: