Saturday, December 07, 2013

Cowboy Ciao at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport

Corn Nuts About Scallops and Stetson Chopped Salad

The funny thing is that the original location of this Southwestern restaurant was actually within walking distance of my hotel in Scottsdale last night. But they also opened up an outlet of the airport (3800 East Sky Harbor Blvd, Terminal 4, Gate B26, 480-946-3111), and it turned out to be right next to my gate this morning, which worked out nicely. I was looking forward to trying that Stetson chopped salad that everyone seemed to be raving about online.

Now, I'm not sure if it was because my expectations were too high, but I don't know what all the fuss was about that salad. Sure, the range of ingredients that they put in there (including some crunchy and mildly sweet corn kernels) definitely gave this thing a uniquely wide range of flavors, textures, and colors, especially when they arranged it in neat rows by color before it got tossed. But really, it wasn't anything that I was going to get cravings for. I'd much rather have Feast from the East or even a simple wedge salad instead.

The thing that I was happier with was the scallops in the foreground, which was not only crusted with corn nuts (!), but also sat on top of a portion of risotto (it seems like a way to torture Hell's Kitchen contestants, seeing how much Gordon Ramsay always seems to scream about how the scallops or risotto are done on his show). Anyway, it was good enough for me to wolf down in seconds. But I'm still scratching my head at that salad.

No comments: