Monday, September 16, 2013

Tsukemen from Tsujita LA Artisan Noodle

Tsukemen

It might seem a bit weird that I would get a bowl of ramen from a shop all the way out in Los Angeles when it'd probably be easier to just go to Japan, living in Asia and all. But I came here because I kept hearing about this shop from multiple sources, with everyone raving about the tsukemen in particular (2057 Sawtelle Boulevard, 231-7373). Was it just because tsukemen was not easy to come by in LA, or was it honestly that good? Seeing that it was an offshoot of an apparently famous Nidaime Tsujita in Tokyo, I had a feeling that it was going to be the latter.

And it was. This was one of the better tsukemen renditions that I've had. This was in part due to those thick and chewy noodles, but also they got the dipping broth just right, including a tangy tinge that I hated at Taishoken, but in this bowl, it complemented it absolutely perfectly. Now, admittedly I still think about Tetsu's tsukemen and wished that they would come back to Singapore, but either way, I finally see now why this place has gotten so much praise. Hmmm...I'll be very curious to see how the Grand Tsukemen Fest fares in Japan next month.

No comments: