Sunday, August 12, 2007

Bangkok Jam, Great World City

Goong Chae Nam Jim

This stylishly decorated place (1 Kim Seng Promenade #02-26, 6732-4523) looked half-promising from its doorway and menu. I was particularly intrigued by the goong chae nam jim, so we went on in. Described as a "Japanese inspired sashimi of tiger prawns in sour and spicy nam jim dressing," this dish sounded like something we had in Krabi a number of years back. While the greyish color of the raw shrimp wasn't exactly the beautifully translucent property of amaebi sushi, it was still pretty tasty. Then again, I suppose that if you use that magical Thai combination of lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, and chili peppers, anything will taste good.

Kao soi was also available here. I was a bit surprised to find that they used flat mee pok-like noodles in it, but I suppose that it still worked, especially with the standard issue garnishes assisting. Still, this wasn't quite the rendition that I was hoping for. I never thought that I would say this, but I would rather go to Nooch for kao soi instead.

While this place wasn't as promising as I thought it would be, at least it was much cheaper than that Patara place. And I'd still head back to check out that peculiar-sounding Thai burger if it happens to be convenient that day. Interestingly, they also had a "warm spinach salad with crispy bacon" and "Mum's recipe of Philadelphia cheese cake" on the menu...both classic Thai dishes, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this "Goong Chae Nam Pra" dish so much. Anyway, I've heard about this P&P Thai Food in Gaylang that they do quite good thai food (cooked by a Thai lady) and cheap too. Have you tried?