Thursday, October 26, 2006

Forced to Order Room Service in Phuket

Khao Soi Gai

I'm never really the type of person to order room service (in fact, I think this is my first posting ever about it). But being stuck way out here in the remote resort area of Phuket for a business event meant that there wasn't much of a choice for late night snacking (I even tried walking out on the street to find something but to no avail...the street was totally empty). Without any other choice, I went ahead and ordered the khao soi gai from the room service menu. At 400 Baht (US$10), it was certainly multiple times what one would pay for it on the street, but at least it wasn't as ridiculously high as I would have thought room service to be.

Anyway, this hit the spot, with a rich creamy curry, tender chicken, crunchy noodles, and a great set of pickle and shallot condiments. I particularly liked the hot sauce that went with this: pretty much just dried chili and oil without any unnecessary sweetness (although an interesting hint of bitterness in it, presumably from the roasting process?). Hey - price (and the 30 minute wait) aside, maybe room service can be bearable after all...in Thailand, anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK that's it! I'm not reading your blog anymore. I draw the line here... I'm currently sitting here at work actually drooling on my notebook reading your description while waiting for lunch time to come around.

That curry looks amazing!

By the way, I was just kidding about not reading your blog anymore. :) I'm a huge fan!