Monday, April 18, 2016

You Yuan Xiao Xu in Jordan, Hong Kong

Biang Biang Noodles

I asked a local teammate for a recommendation on the Kowloon side, and she suggested this Shaanxi place (36 Man Yuen Street, 5300-2682). They served those ultra wide biang biang noodles here, and it was surprisingly good, particularly since it didn't reek of garlic.

Perhaps more impressive were some dill and pork dumplings that I got on the side (I didn't even realize that dill was used much in Chinese food). I loved the fragrance of those things so much that I totally forgot to try the red chili oil that sat in a jar on each table.

Finally, I topped off this meal with a bánh mì from Tim Kee French Sandwiches, just a few doors down (30 Man Yuen Street, 2385-7939). The bread was surprisingly crisp and airy, on par with (or perhaps even better than) my favorite Bami Express. But he didn't put cilantro nor chili peppers in there for some reason.

Epilogue: my local teammate just told me that I was supposed to ask for chili peppers.

No comments: