Friday, March 15, 2013

MexOut at Far East Square, Singapore

Tacos

It must seem rather strange that my first meal back in Asia is Mexican food, especially when I was just in California. But I wanted to come try this place before I left on that trip (39 Pekin Street #01-01, 9770-7441), and today we finally had the chance to come down here.

I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. It looked promising when we entered, but when I saw loads of rice, lettuce, and beans on the counter (and gasp - a squeeze bottle of sour cream!), I got a bit worried. It was really more American than it was Mexican...and to be specific, it was a Mission-style burrito place. Fortunately, they offered corn tortillas for the tacos (and those were propped up by a little metal stand in the photo above, BTW), but the meat sat around lukewarm in little pots, making it completely different from those spectacularly piping hot things that I got the other day. Worse, the meat really wasn't very tasty, nor were the salsas.

If this were a couple of years ago, I might have hailed this as one of the few places that I could go to in Singapore to get something half-resembling what I was used to from back home. But in many ways just a local version of Chipotle, which isn't exactly a place that I like very much. It's still all about Lucha Loco for me.

No comments: