Saturday, January 21, 2012

Anyone Want Some Poon Choi?

Poon Choi

Yes, the juvenile inside me couldn't help but snicker a bit at this unfortunate transliteration. But all joking aside, this was the first time that such a dish has been brought to my attention. I'm sure that I've had something pretty similar before at a Chinese banquet or something, but this was the first time that I had heard this referred to by name.

What is it? If I understand it correctly, this is a simmered dish that is popular in Hong Kong for special occasions like the aforementioned banquets or - in this case - for the Lunar New Year holidays. And while there are a lot of dishes served like this, this one in particular is supposed to be layered up with all sorts of fancy stuff like abalone and shark's fin.

This version tonight had none of the latter, but it did have duck feet at the bottom (or were they chicken feet?). I'm usually one that avoids that upon seeing it at dim sum, but I ate two or three of them tonight, largely for the sake of being polite. But I have to admit that I kinda liked them in the end; it was basically like eating chicken skin, albeit with a bunch of little bones that weren't as frustrating to navigate as I had thought. I couldn't help but wonder how great that skin might taste when grilled on a fire or even deep fried.

No comments: