Friday, September 04, 2026

BayBay Yunnan Cuisine Bistro at Esplanade Mall

Wok-Tossed Porcini Mushrooms

Somehow I never realized until now that Yunhaiyao doesn't have any outlets in Singapore anymore, even if its downscale spinoff Yun Place is still around. At least there is another Yunnan restaurant at the Esplanade, of all places (8 Raffles Avenue #01-09). I saw porcini mushrooms on the menu and went straight for it.

This one came out like laziji, with the mushrooms drowning in dried chili peppers. Normally that'd be a good thing, but it was so difficult to extract the thin (and very limited) mushroom slivers from the chili that it got a little frustrating. I liked the one at Yunhaiyao better. I just wish that this dish weren't so expensive.

I was also a bit bummed to find that the big craft beer selection from China that they advertised was mostly unavailable tonight, and I didn't see single pours of their rice wine available either. Well, at least things like their heisandou were cheaper, so maybe I'll get that next time. The food still tasted good at least.

No comments: