Sunday, September 08, 2024

The Fishmarket Newhaven in Edinburgh, Scotland

Small battered haddock and chips

I was originally planning to go to this shop's takeout counter and eat outside on the pier like Phil Rosenthal did (23A Pier Place, 0131-552-8262). But then I noticed that they had indoor table service, which was quite inviting given how gloomy it was outside.

Either way, this was seriously some of the best fish and chips that I've had, and it all came down to the ingredients. I'm not just talking about the fresh haddock in there, but also the quality of the potatoes as well as the peas, with those chips in particular being thick but bursting in potatoey goodness. In other words, it was real food rather than just something to fill your stomach. Big thumbs up.

My only regret was not getting their grilled langoustines, which oddly were not on the dine-in menu but were available from the takeout section. Well, I couldn't eat much more anyway. But if I come back here, then I need to remember to ask them for the langoustines.

No comments: