Sunday, June 02, 2024

My (Piece) Meal from Shida Night Market in Taipei

Fish Soup

I wasn't expecting to find much after 9 PM on a rainy Sunday night at Shida, even if it was a night market. But I needed food before going back to the hotel, and this fish soup cart called Longquan Shenhai Xianyutang was open (7 Shida Road Lane 117, 02-2362-3729). And I'm glad that I tried it; the soup didn't look like much, but it was wonderfully fresh, crisp, and savory. I loved that they loaded it up with tons of julienned ginger, and would be happy to eat that again.

Flour Rice Noodles

There was also a mianxian chain called Dagou that I spotted at 126 Shida Road that offered a bowl without intestines. Yet it still tasted deliciously savory, and was wonderful with a scoop of that potent chili sauce on the counter, not to mention a good lashing of black Chinese vinegar. Next time I should try that luobo gongwantang with daikon and meatballs in it.

Big Sausage in Little Sausage

And perhaps the most fascinating one of them all was a cart called Shashiji. He was grilling local sausages, but did them in what is called dachang bao xiaochang, or small intestine wrapped in big intestine. Basically, the "bun" was a sticky rice sausage (I'm assuming that there was actually no small intestine involved). It was fun to eat, but next time I need to keep in mind that they are pretty darned filling. Hopefully I can find a stall that doesn't use kyuri cucumbers in there; the heat from the rice totally ruins them.

No comments: