Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Xiangyue’s Jiuguiyu and Zuixiangyu from China

Xiangyue’s Jiuguiyu and Zuixiangyu from China

I told you that I was going back for this stuff. And today at Scarlett, they had this other version on the left that came in a slightly larger pack. If I got the translations correct, the left one is "drunkard fish" while the right one is "drunken fish." In other words, the former refers to the human eating the fish (with booze) while the latter refers to the fish itself in alcohol.

But I didn't see alcohol on the ingredient list for the latter, only the former. And I couldn't really taste it in the former either; to be honest, both tasted the same. They're basically a really salty and spicy fish jerky (or a Hunan version of tinned anchovies) that go great with beer and rice. One trick that I only realized today was to use scissors to cut the fish into smaller pieces first rather than trying to gnaw on the entire thing.

No comments: