Friday, August 19, 2022

My Three Course Lunch at AMK Hub’s NTUC Foodfare

Cow Bowl

OK, maybe it's four courses if you count the salad too. Anyway, I made the trek up to this food court because of a stall called Nice Rice (53 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 #03-12), which got some attention for being run by a former fine dining chef doing pilaf using short grain Taiwanese rice. The beef was a bit tough, and the brown truffle sauce adorning it was a bit sweet, but I still ate it quickly, and was delighted to find dill in the salad too.

Fish Bowl

The portion was small enough that I had space to also try their fish bowl, whose thin slices of seabass arrived with a crisp yet moist texture. Now, they tended to overdo the ingredients a bit: a simple lemon wedge could've sufficed in place of that green citrus gel on top, and the buttery rice really didn't need the shichimi. But I still ate it, and nearly went back to try their mushroom bowl next until I saw a neighboring stall called Xiaoguanzi doing mixian, roujiamo, and Shaanxi liangpi.

Chaoxian Yanji Lengmian

And that's when sheer curiosity pulled me over, as they had something called Chaoxian yanji lengmian available. I looked it up, and it was basically naengmyeon done by ethnic Koreans in China. Presumably this was not a great rendition: the noodles were soft, the beef was jerky-like, and the broth was sugary sweet. So I left most of it uneaten, but the chili sauce was on point, so I might come back to try their mixian.

No comments: