Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Pangpang Xiongmao (D Panda) at Peace Centre

Chuanr and Cold Noodles

I didn't have dinner tonight, so I was on the hunt for some cheap, fast, and salty food on the way home. This streetside place seemed to fit the bill (1 Sophia Road #01-11, 8540-1613). The menu featured some kind of jianbing things as well as chuanr and even some cold noodles. I ordered the last two, and I'm not quite sure what I got in the end. The chuanr weren't very fragrant nor fatty, while the cold noodles were neither cold nor noodles. It was more of a warm omelette kind of thing. I still ate the salty spicy strips, but I am confused as to what I had ordered.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Cold Noodle dish is probably grilled or fried or panfried cold noodle. Its name is strange b'cos like you said, it's neither cold nor noodle-y. It's etymology is that in mainland China, the street vendor with a flat grill will use cold noodle meant for for naengmyeon and lay the strands flat in a sheet-like formation to form a crepe on the grill. Then they add toppings like ingredients and sauces while waiting for everything to cook. The final product gets cut into chunks for ease of eating.