Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Bian Rou Soup from Putien

Bian Rou Soup

I really should go to Putien more often, as the food is just wonderful. Take that soup above, for instance. It may look like your everyday soup, but those dumplings are made from pork that have been pounded for three hours, giving the skins a delicately springy texture, all while sitting in a broth laced with vinegar. I was particularly happy with their seaweed starter too; it was basically just a pile of shredded black seaweed in a light marinade, but it was so deliciously savory that I kept nibbling it in small bites so as to stretch that portion as far as I could. Apparently the way that they harvest this seaweed in Putian makes it particularly unique. Next time I need to make sure that I get my hands on the yellow croaker.

No comments: