Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Putien's Pan-Fried Live Eel on Hot Plate

Putien's Pan-Fried Live Eel on Hot Plate

Putien is one of those places that I've always liked yet somehow it's never at the top of my mind. But I was on a mission to come here today because they are currently running an eel festival right now, with live eels either boiled in spring water as a soup or grilled on a platter with just oil and salt. I went for the latter, and it was surprisingly thick but also fatty enough to be tasty.

I suppose it was like shirayaki unagi or even Korean eel, but it was done on a platter rather than grilled. Anyway, I gobbled it up along with some greens. Once I'm off this gut cleansing program, I'm coming back to try the seaweed and shrimp starter that I saw on the menu. But I also need to remember to save up my money, because this place isn't cheap.

Epilogue: they also have a soup version of this. Or rather, it's just eel boiled in clear spring water along with a bit of ginger and wolfberries. It didn't sound nor look like much, but it was delicious, with a light yet savory broth that helped offset the fat from the eel's skin. I just love how the simplest food tastes the best.

No comments: