Monday, September 13, 2021

Osaka's Ganko Sushi Has Opened in Singapore

8 Type Sushi Platter

A large chain from Japan has opened up an outlet at the former Park Mall (9 Penang Road #01-01, 8828-2280). I was drawn here because it was allegedly "value for money," but it turned out to be way more upscale with its posh decor and nice porcelainware. The prices weren't that low: that platter above was S$40 (US$30) and was basically the cheapest meal that I could get.

That said, the food was impressively good, including not just the rice but also the seafood (that uni was much more rich and briny than that tasteless stuff that one gets at Sushiro). This was proper sushi that we were talking about here, and the quality was up there with more high-end places. I suppose that "value for money" was true in that one gets high quality products at a much lower price, but it definitely wasn't something that I can afford to eat every day.

Actually, this was eerily similar to Sen-Ryo at ION Orchard: a chain from Japan via Hong Kong that was allegedly low-priced but turned out to be much more upscale. I'd much rather come here given the quality of the food, but it's not taking the place of my old lunchtime haunt Numazu Uogashizushi, where I could pay half of these prices, even if the quality of the product there wasn't in the same league.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can i know you went for lunch or dinner? do you have the menu for Ganko cant find it

bma said...

Lunch, but I think it was the same as the dinner menu