Friday, September 11, 2020

A Pair of Noodle Shops at Whampoa Makan Place

Xing Heng Feng

There are a couple of noodle stalls at Whampoa Hawker Centre that I never had a chance to try because they shut down by midday. We were able to head over for an early lunch this morning though, so I went straight to Xing Heng Feng (91 Whampoa Drive #01-14) to try those fishball noodles above. Yes, it was nicely done including both the firm eggy noodles as well as the quality of the other items in the bowl, including some bits of dried fish mixed into the dumpling stuffing for some extra stank. It's not so special that I'd go out of my way for it, but it was a high quality bowl at an affordable price.

China Whampoa Home Made Noodle

The other one that I wanted to try was China Whampoa Home Made Noodle (91 Whampoa Drive #01-24), as they were supposed to have a killer chili sauce. It arrived front and center in the bowl, and was indeed pleasantly spicy. But that chili sauce was as sweet as it was garlicky (seriously, was it made from equal parts of chili, sugar, and garlic?). It was so sweet that I won't get it again, but I nonetheless really liked the crunchy texture of the green veggies, not to mention the chewy noodles, firm razor clams, and crispy bits of dried fish. To my surprise, I still finished the bowl (and even wanted more) despite how sweet it was.

No comments: