Saturday, August 29, 2020

Yong Huat Hokkien Mee in Katong, Singapore

Hokkien Prawn Mee

I scrambled down to this old school stall at Alibabar The Hawker Bar today, not only because it was supposed to be good, but also because this is the last weekend before the couple retires (125 East Coast Road, 9630-1370).

The food took a while to come out, but I can see why people like it. The seafood was fresh and generous, while the chili sauce, pork lard, and calamansi all came together to create a delicious plate (that's the Hokkien prawn mee above; the mee suah was similar but with a change of carbs). It didn't quite have the gravy-like coating that Yi Sheng and the Whampoa stall have, but I still cleared these plates with ease.

And it turns out that this stall is not shutting down after all, as another team recently purchased the stall and recipes. I'm not sure if the quality will change, but I think they said that the couple will still stick around for a bit.

No comments: