Saturday, August 22, 2020

Taichung's Devil's Evolution Chicken in Singapore

Devil Evolution Chicken

I didn't realize it until I walked by it today that another fried chicken place from Taiwan opened in Singapore in the past year, and has already expanded to several outlets. This one is from Taichung specifically, and is called emo jipai, or Devil Evolution Chicken, as they've named themselves locally. Apparently it has drawn huge lines, so naturally I wanted to try one for myself.

The most notable thing when I bit into it was how thick the batter was. It wasn't just crispy; it was crunchy, and I somehow kept wanting to eat more despite complaining to myself about how thick it was. Yes, the texture was rather unique, and the chicken inside was still moist and tender too. It was mildly sweet, but that also kept it well-rounded enough that I kept eating more and more.

I haven't eaten at Monga enough times to do a valid shootout, but I suspect that I'd still skew toward Monga because the batter here is too thick. The chili powder here was fun though; I just need to remind myself that whenever there is a finely ground chili powder dust on top of my food, I must EXHALE while biting into it rather than inhaling like I did today.

No comments: