Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Ya Lor Geylang Lorong 35 Braised Duck by Sean Kee

Premium Braised Duck Rice

To be honest, I was drawn here more by this place's name than the food itself. See, it was originally a stall from Geylang called Sia Kee. But it's known as Sean Kee, and now they've commercialized into a more modern outlet called Ya Lor at Guoco Tower (7 Wallich Street #B2-32, 6243-6613).

That "premium" plate above featured the widest variety of items available: duck meat, bean sprouts, braised peanuts, braised egg, chili fishcakes, and beancurd, all covered in their dark sauce. Normally I'd whine about sweet sauces, but this one actually went quite well with it all. And that's without masking the taste of the duck either.

That said, I clenched my face when I tasted the soup, as it was undrinkably sweet. The chili sauce was sweet too, but fortunately it was more sour than it was sweet, thus making it pleasantly tangy. Maybe next time I'll get the porridge so as to keep my distance from the soup.

No comments: