Thursday, January 16, 2020

Bara Indonesian Grilled Rice at Icon Village in Tanjong Pagar

Bumbu Kemangi

This new Indonesian place looked really cool (16 Enggor Street #01-10, 8321-6771). It specialized in nasi bakar, or steamed rice wrapped in a banana leaf and grilled on a fire. I thus eagerly came here to try it today, going for the first set on the menu.

Unfortunately, I went in with the wrong expectations, as the rice didn't stand out as much as I thought it would. If there was any aroma imparted by the banana leaf, I couldn't taste it, as it was buried by the much stronger scent of lemongrass.

To be sure, I like lemongrass, but it dominated everything, including the basil chicken, as well as the sambal. Moreover, it was all too sweet. I thus wonder if the grilled or fried chicken would be more suitable for me. I'll come back to try those if they offer a sambal that isn't sweet.

No comments: