Thursday, May 30, 2019

Niu Dian Beef Noodles in Ximending, Taipei

Beef Noodles

I've wanted to try this Michelin Bib Gourmand beef noodle place (91 Kunming Street, 2389-5577) for a while now. And yet I've never had the chance to go, mainly because they close at an early 8 PM. Fortunately, we just happened to be around the corner tonight with a few minutes to spare before heading to our next meeting.

It was very unique. They had normal bowls of course, but I ended up with this special, which separated the broth and noodles from a deeper gravy in a separate pot behind it. It even came with a set of instructions, which I interpreted to be hitsumabushi-style: just progressively mix everything together according to taste.

I ended up inclining toward dry noodles with gravy, dipping the meat into a rather spicy and salty orange sauce on the side. The noodles were nice and chewy, while the meat was impressively tender despite being thickly cut. The broth was a bit bland, but I'd come back if I'm nearby again.

No comments: